All this warm weather and rain we’ve been getting sure has been great for the landscaping, but increased temperatures and a wet spring equal more insects and when there is an abundance of bugs the spiders inevitably come out to eat them.
House spiders are the most common type of creepy, 8-legged creature that you’ll find in your home. Usually, they’re brown or gray and smaller than an inch big. House spiders aren’t considered too much of a danger because they rarely bite and their venom isn’t strong enough to evoke much of a reaction. Jumping spiders and the larger Wolf spiders are also known to bite, but luckily they mostly stay outdoors. Unfortunately, here in Oklahoma, we also get Brown Recluse and Black Widow spiders. Brown Recluse spiders, also known as Fiddlebacks, have a bite that can cause tissue decay and leave a painful mark. They’re known to hide in the nooks of crannies of places in homes that are rarely disturbed. Black Widow spiders are considered the most dangerous type found in our region because their venom from a bite affects our nervous system, causing many illness-like symptoms that can be fatal in some cases. Black Widow spiders, like the recluse, are commonly found in garages, cellars, attics, and other places not often disturbed by people.
In order to prevent a spring spider invasion in your home, here are a few tips:
- Give your house a thorough vacuuming, sucking up every bit of dust, cobweb, insects, egg sacks, and any crumbs.
- Keep a clean and tidy home with less cluttered places for spiders to hide.
- Caulk or seal any entry points into your home, like crack or holes, repair any torn window screens, and add new weather-stripping to doors.
- Trim back any trees, bushes, or shrubs that surround your home to keep them from touching the walls and roof.
- Make sure your outdoor lighting uses yellow sodium vapor bulbs because they are less appealing to insects.
- Most importantly, contact Emtec Pest Control for a FREE thorough inspection of your property. Our pest control services will keep the bugs at bay and prevent the spiders from having an easy time of it this spring.
At Emtec Pest Control, we are committed to safe and responsible pest control. We understand that your family’s safety is your number one priority, so we make it our priority, too. If you have any other questions about any of these pests or pest control for your home or business, contact your Oklahoma pest control experts at Emtec Pest Control by calling us or by filling out our online contact form. Our service areas in Northeast Oklahoma include Bixby, Broken Arrow, Catoosa, Owasso, Jenks, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, Skiatook, Stillwater, Tulsa and the surrounding areas. In Central Oklahoma, we service Edmond, Moore, Oklahoma City, Yukon and the surrounding areas. You can also connect with us on social media for more helpful pest control tips and information. We are on Facebook.