As anyone who lives in Oklahoma knows, summer brings bugs. At Emtec Pest Control, we’ve been providing residents across the state with affordable and reliable pest control services since 1979, so we really know how to get rid of the summer bugs that are bugging you. However, we have a few tricks from our years in the pest control industry that can help you avoid them before they become a problem. These are some of the most common Oklahoma summer pests, and how to avoid them:
- Ants: we don’t have to tell you that summer in Oklahoma means ants. From the Carpenter Ant and the Pavement Ant to the Formica Ant and the Red Imported Fire Ant, Oklahoma is home to many of the invasive creepy crawlies. Patching up exterior holes and regular cleaning can help you avoid attracting these pests. However, once you see ants in your home, it’s best to call the professionals at Emtec Pest Control. Because of the size of ant colonies, getting rid of them in their entirety can be a tough job that calls for professional training and specialized equipment. Attempting to DIY could leave you $50 bucks out with just as many ants as you had before.
- Spiders: our wet winter could mean a larger insect population this summer, and an increased spider population to prey on those insects. Translation: you’ll be seeing more spiders than usual this summer. The good news for you is that our preventative pest control plan guards your home against all kinds of spiders, from the harmless to the most venomous. And we can add in an extra monthly follow up service to deal specifically with Brown Recluse spiders if you have had trouble with those creepy little guys around your home. Call us today to schedule a free no-obligation appointment to talk about what preventative pest control can do for you.
- Mosquitoes: the best way to prevent mosquitoes is to eliminate their breeding habitats. These pests only need about half an inch of water to breed, so even a stray bottle cap can provide enough water. Routinely inspect your property and dump out and replace any standing water in tires, birdbaths, fountains, flowerpot trays, rain barrels, baby pools, buckets, tarps and anywhere else. Also, make sure any ponds or pools are properly treated and circulated so they cannot provide a breeding habitat as well.
- Fleas and Ticks: these pests are especially big problems if you live in the country, or spend a lot of time hiking, fishing or camping. And they not only affect us but can be a huge problem for our furry, four-legged friends as well. As carriers of Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and more, ticks pose an extra danger. Make to regularly cut the grass on your property and cut down undergrowth beneath trees. When off your property, stay in the center of paths and away from tall grasses and thick underbrush. Wear long sleeves, long pants, and close-toed shoes and always perform a thorough tick inspection, of both you and your gear, when you return home. Give us a call and we can create a plan to treat your lawn and property, no matter the size, for these pests.
- Scorpions: not the most common pest, but one of the most potentially dangerous, scorpions are an annoyance that many Oklahomans encounter in the summer months. These pests deliver a painful sting and can be especially dangerous for those who have a sensitivity to those stings. They also have a tendency to come inside looking for water in the summer months, which draws them into contact with people. Call Emtec Pest Control and we can create a scorpion elimination plan designed to keep these pests out of your home for good.
At Emtec Pest Control, we are committed to safe and responsible pest control. We understand that pest control is about more than aesthetics, it’s about your family’s safety and security. If you have any other questions about pest control for your home or business, contact your Oklahoma pest control experts at Emtec Pest Control by calling us or by filling out our online contact form. Our service areas in Northeast Oklahoma include Bixby, Broken Arrow, Catoosa, Owasso, Jenks, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, Skiatook, Stillwater, Tulsa, and the surrounding areas. In Central Oklahoma, we service Edmond, Moore, Oklahoma City, Yukon, and the surrounding areas. You can also connect with us on social media for more helpful pest control tips and information. We are on Facebook and Google+.