Autumn is officially here! The weather has cooled down and we’re starting to see some leaves change color. Unfortunately, fall and winter are also the times of the year when mice and other rodents begin to seek warmer shelter to prepare for the coming winter. They’re looking for a warm, dry place indoors with food and water. Your home likely fits that bill.
According to this 2013 article from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), “Each winter, rodents invade approximately 21 million U.S. homes, through openings as small as a dime, bringing with them a slew of hazards.” Mice, rats, and other rodents are capable of transmitting diseases, contaminating food, bringing in fleas and lice, and stirring up allergens in your home. Rodents also have the ability to inflict structural damage, creating fire hazards and destroying insulation.
Here are the NPMA’s most common signs of rodent infestations:
- Droppings. Typically left behind in kitchen cabinets and pantries, along walls, on top of wall studs or beams, near nests, and in boxes, bags, old furniture, and other objects.
- Noises. Rodents often make scurrying sounds most often at night as they move about and nest.
- Gnaw marks. New gnawings tend to be rough to the touch and are light-colored.
- Tracks/footprints. These along with tail marks are easily found in areas where the rodents travel.
- Burrows. Inside, rodents often nest in various materials such as insulation, and they prefer nesting areas that are dark and secluded.
- Damaged food packages. Mice prefer seeds or cereals while Norway rats prefer meat, fish and dry dog food.
If you’ve noticed any of these signs, then call the rodent elimination experts at Emtec Pest Control. We service Tulsa residents and those in surrounding areas like Broken Arrow, Owasso, Bixby, Jenks and more, as well as the Oklahoma City and Stillwater areas. To book your free inspection, call us at (800) 522-4707 or contact us online here at emtecpestcontrol.com.
At Emtec Pest Control, we are committed to safe and responsible pest control. We understand that your family’s safety is your number one priority, so we make it our priority, too. If you have any other questions about any of these pests or pest control for your home or business, contact your Oklahoma pest control experts at Emtec Pest Control by calling us or by filling out our online contact form. Our service areas in Northeast Oklahoma include Bixby, Broken Arrow, Catoosa, Owasso, Jenks, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, Skiatook, Stillwater, Tulsa and the surrounding areas. In Central Oklahoma, we service Edmond, Moore, Oklahoma City, Yukon and the surrounding areas. You can also connect with us on social media for more helpful pest control tips and information. We are on Facebook.