Here in Green Country, damage from termites has been cited as one of the worst destroyers of homes and other buildings; often more so then fires, floods, and tornadoes. Unfortunately this area is home to some of the most devastating pests: Eastern subterranean termites. They easily make a meal of wooden structures; working silently with little to no evidence that they are infesting. Before you know it, these little bugs have quickly made your property unsafe; now requiring expensive repairs often not covered by home insurance.
Some Real Facts About Termite Damage:
- Termites cost U.S. property owners over $5 billion dollars each year with Formosan and subterranean termites accounting for 90% of all termite damage.
- Around 600,000 residential homes are affected.
- The average cost to repair termite damage is $3,300.
- If you own an outdoor wooden porch, deck, or stairway, subterranean termites easily gain access and can infest your home without any external sign.
- In some regions of the U.S. Formosan and subterranean termite colonies have numbers in the millions and forage over 100 meters from their colonies.
- Termites have the longest life span of any household pest; A termite queen can live 15 to 25 years and lay an egg every 15 seconds.
Now that spring is here and temperatures are heating up, we typically see a huge influx in the number of termite activity reports. Subterranean termites are pretty small in size, create a distinctive honeycomb pattern in wood, and travel by “mud tunnels” that are rarely seen because they leave the external grain intact. It is very important to recognize the destruction caused by termites. Seriously damaged wood becomes extremely thin. It breaks without difficulty, can be easily punctured, and becomes unable to support weight. Some of the more unsafe termite structural damage can be seen in sagging wood beams and uneven floors. We’ve seen everything from small holes in walls, window frames, and floors to voracious eaters who have removed the wood from behind paint or the paper in drywall, leaving only the paint intact!
The only proven way to protect your home from costly termite damage is with regular inspections and a treatment plan from a reputable and licensed pest control company, like Emtec. We can help you identify any signs of termite damage or activity with our FREE inspections. Based on our expert findings, we can customize a treatment course of action that will specifically target the areas that are most susceptible and help reduce the risk of damage to your home.
At Emtec Pest Control, we are committed to safe and responsible pest control. We understand that your family’s safety is your number one priority, so we make it our priority, too. If you have any other questions about any of these pests or pest control for your home or business, contact your Oklahoma pest control experts at Emtec Pest Control by calling us or by filling out our online contact form. Our service areas in Northeast Oklahoma include Bixby, Broken Arrow, Catoosa, Owasso, Jenks, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, Skiatook, Stillwater, Tulsa and the surrounding areas. In Central Oklahoma, we service Edmond, Moore, Oklahoma City, Yukon and the surrounding areas. You can also connect with us on social media for more helpful pest control tips and information. We are on Facebook.