Yes, it’s that time of year again! From the foolish tricks on the first day of the month, all through the warm spring days, to the integrity of national honesty day at the end of the month, April is truthfully a beautiful and fun time of year. For the pest control industry, April is a great time to remind homeowners to undertake home maintenance projects to protect against spring pest infestations. That’s why for nearly 40 years the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) has designated April as National Pest Management Month. It recognizes all of the pest control professionals committed every day to protecting the health of the public and the security of property from pest invasions.
Professionals like Emtec Pest Control are dedicated to raising public awareness about the risks posed by household pests. Bugs such as ticks, mosquitoes, cockroaches, and stinging insects potentially pose health threats to humans. Ticks can spread Lyme disease, while mosquitoes can carry West Nile virus. Cockroach allergens can trigger asthma attacks, while stinging insects send more than half a million people to the emergency room every year. Other pests, including termites, rodents, and carpenter ants can cause extensive property damage by chewing through walls, flooring, and even electrical wiring.
For the second year in a row, the NPMA has partnered with renowned home improvement expert, Bob Vila, to offer tips and advice to property owners on ways they can prepare their homes to defend against springtime pests.
NPMA and Bob Vila’s Home Pest Proofing Tips:
- Conduct an audit of the home’s perimeter, taking note of any cracks, winter damage or termite mud tubes.
- Seal outside cracks, including entry points for utilities and pipes, with a silicone-based caulk.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house and clean clogged gutters.
- Remove rotted tree stumps, keep mulch at least 15 feet away from the home’s foundation and trim bushes and branches away from the home.
- In case of an infestation, work with a licensed pest professional (like Emtec Pest Control) to properly identify the problem and determine the best treatment method.
For more information about National Pest Management Month, visit www.Pestworld.org. If you would like to learn more about pest management in your area or for a FREE pest inspection of your property, please contact Emtec Pest Control today at 800-522-4707.
At Emtec Pest Control, we are committed to safe and responsible pest control. We understand that your family’s safety is your number one priority, so we make it our priority, too. If you have any other questions about any of these pests or pest control for your home or business, contact your Oklahoma pest control experts at Emtec Pest Control by calling us or by filling out our online contact form. Our service areas in Northeast Oklahoma include Bixby, Broken Arrow, Catoosa, Owasso, Jenks, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, Skiatook, Stillwater, Tulsa and the surrounding areas. In Central Oklahoma, we service Edmond, Moore, Oklahoma City, Yukon and the surrounding areas. You can also connect with us on social media for more helpful pest control tips and information. We are on Facebook.